Toxic Ingestion

Pine Castle Animal Care Center Offers Treatment 

For Toxic Ingestion

Animals explore the world through smell and taste. Sometimes, this habit gets them into trouble when they ingest toxic substances and become extremely ill. Immediate veterinary care is needed to neutralize the toxic substance and support the animals as it recovers from the poisoning. At Pine Castle Animal Care Center in Orlando, FL, we provide treatment and supportive care for accidental toxic ingestion in pets.


Common Toxic Substances That Are Hazardous To Pets

Because pets will try a taste of anything, it is important to carefully store away chemicals used on lawns, insecticides, antifreeze and other substances that are a poisoning hazard. Dogs can also get into over-the-counter pain relievers or prescriptions drugs that are kept in the home, which can endanger their lives. Foods such as chocolate, grapes, raisins and products containing the sweetener xylitol are also poisonous to dogs. Certain plants, if consumed, can be poisonous to dogs, such as poinsettia, tulips, hyacinth, azalea and rhododendron. Cat may get toxic substances on their fur or feet and then lick it off when they groom themselves.

Symptoms of Toxic Ingestion in Pets

Vomiting and diarrhea are common symptoms in pets that have ingested a poisonous substance. An animal may lose their appetite. Rapid heart rate, problems with breathing and inability to pass urine are also signs of poisoning. A dog may experience nosebleeds or blood in the stool. Bruising may be evident. The animal may become very lethargic and may even become unconscious. Some substances can cause neurological symptoms, such as poor coordination, trembling or seizures. Prompt veterinary care can help to preserve the life of animals that have ingested poisonous substances.

Treatment of Toxic Ingestion

Inducing vomiting to remove the substance from the body is a standard practice, but cannot be used if the toxic substance will cause damage to the esophagus and throat on the way up. The vet may perform gastric lavage to flush the substance out of the stomach. Charcoal is used to neutralize the substance. In some cases, colonic enemas may be used to flush the substance from the intestines .IV fluids are administered, and pain medications may be provided. Medications to control seizures or heart rate may be needed.

Make Pine Castle Animal Care Center Your Veterinarian in Orlando, FL

Dr. Klein, Dr. Whaley and the team at Pine Castle Animal Care Center are dedicated to putting quality care first for all their patients in Orlando, FL and surrounding areas. Our animal hospital provides many veterinary services for pets, including vaccinations, surgery, dental care, diagnostics, parasite prevention, boarding and grooming. Contact Pine Castle Animal Care Center today at (407) 855-5010 for an appointment to learn more about toxic ingestion and caring for your pet.  

Contact Us

We look forward to hearing from you