Pet eye infections can happen for a number of reasons. No matter what the reason, they are distressing for both pets and their owners. It's painful for our pets and can leave humans feeling helpless.
Pine Castle Animal Care Clinic in Orlando, FL, understands how important your pet is to you. We can help treat the cause of eye infections in your pet. Read on to learn more about pet eye infections and animal care.
What Causes Pet Eye Infections?
There are several ways your pet can develop an eye infection. They include:
- Pink eye (conjunctivitis): This occurs when the mucous membranes on the eyeball or eyelid become inflamed.
- Viruses: Viruses like herpes, influenza, and distemper can cause eye infections. This is one reason why vaccinations are so important.
- Bacteria: Lyme disease and leptospirosis can cause infection.
- Allergies: This can include smoke, shampoo, fabric, and laundry detergent.
- Debris: If any type of debris like grass, dirt, fungus, or twigs, get in your pet’s eyes, it can irritate them. If it is not flushed out, an infection can develop.
- Trauma: Any type of cuts or scratches will allow bacteria to enter the eye and cause an infection.
- Parasites: Fleas, ticks, and other invaders carry diseases that they can transfer to pets.
What Are the Symptoms of a Pet Eye Infection?
- Swelling around the eye or lid
- Thick, discolored discharge
- Constant blinking or squinting
- The eye is closed
- Rubbing eyes
If your pet has any of these symptoms, it's vital to get your critter to a pet clinic and to see a veterinarian immediately.
What Treatments Will My Pet Be Given for an Eye Infection?
Treatments will vary depending on what is causing the infection. Once the veterinarian has examined your pet, the following treatments may be recommended:
- Prescribe antibiotics and/or eye drops
- Sedate your pet to remove any foreign materials
- Flush out the eye
- Perform surgery if a blocked tear duct is causing the infection
How Can I Help My Pet Recover?
It's very important to follow the veterinarian’s instructions. Administer all medication as prescribed. Keep your pet comfortable. Separate it from other pets and small children until it is better. Give your pet lots of love! Having a sick or injured pet is always concerning. Here at Pine Castle Animal Care Clinic in Orlando, FL, we totally understand your feelings. Our kind, dedicated staff of trained professionals is always here to help. Contact us at (407) 855-5010 or visit our website for more information.