Common Questions about Pet Allergy
Just like humans, dogs and cats can have allergic reactions when their immune systems begin to recognize certain everyday substances as dangerous. Although most allergies are non-threatening to animals, they can still cause pets distress and a lot of discomfort. If your furry animal is showing signs of allergies, contact the vets at Pine Castle Animal Care Center in Orlando, FL, to find out what is causing his allergies and for treatment.
What Kinds of Allergies Pets Can Suffer From?
There are four main types of allergies that can affect cats or dogs, which are:
- Food Allergies: Adverse reactions to food only affect about 10 percent or less of all cats and dogs and can show up at any age. Cats are mostly allergic to beef, dairy, chicken, or fish, while dogs can have allergies to beef, dairy, wheat, lamb, chicken, soy, and eggs.
- Fleas: Flea allergy dermatitis is a skin allergic reaction to the saliva of fleas. A single bite from a flea is enough to cause intense irritation and itching that sometimes last several days.
- Environmental Allergies: Environmental allergies can be the result of outdoor allergens, such as pollen and grass, or indoor ones, like dust mites and mold. Environmental allergies can be seasonal or year-round, very similar when humans get them.
- Contact Allergies: Contact allergies are when pets react to common household items, such as detergents, soaps, shampoos, plastic, leather, and carpets. Although rare, they can still cause significant discomfort to dogs and cats.
How Do I Keep My Pet’s Allergies Under Control?
To keep allergies under control, make sure your pet stays as far away as possible from anything he may be allergic to and clean your house often to ensure there’s nothing that would trigger your pet’s allergies.
What Are The Symptoms to Look Out For?
Symptoms depend on what your pet is allergic to. For example, if your dog or cat has food allergies, he will experience gastrointestinal symptoms, such as vomiting and diarrhea. However, in general, allergies will appear as the following:
- Itchiness of the skin or eyes
- Ear infections
- Constant licking, biting, or chewing of the skin
- Inflamed skin
- Red skin
What Is The Best Way to Address Allergies in Pets?
The best way to address allergies is to schedule an appointment with a veterinarian to have your pet evaluated. When you visit a vet, they can determine if your pet suffers from allergies and can provide treatment to ease his symptoms. Also, a veterinarian can give you tips on ways to minimize contact with allergens and what you can do at home to help your pet.
Contact Our Animal Hospital in Orlando, FL, Today
Our vet staff at Pine Castle Animal Care Center in Orlando, FL, is ready to assess your pet and provide the treatment your pet needs to ease his allergies. Call our animal hospital today at (407) 855-5010 to schedule an appointment.